Facilities & Structure
The College is divided into two schools: the Middle School (Years 7 to 9) and the Senior School (Years 10 to 12). Programs, assessment and teaching strategies are targeted to these key areas of schooling. Students in the Middle School and Senior School have different, tailor made Student Planners and different versions of the College Uniform. Year 10, the start of our Senior School, is a year where students commence their work towards the BOSTES Record of School Achievement (ROSA) and as such, we have high expectations around student conduct, engagement and work ethic.
The College is fortunate to provide first class facilities to support all areas of the College curriculum. Between 2007 and 2010 many facilities have been upgraded and new facilities provided.
The heritage Convent and Classroom buildings closest to the corner of Forest Rd and Croydon Rd have been magnificently restored.
There are wonderful specialist teaching spaces for Technology, Music, Dance, Drama, Visual Arts, along with new classrooms for Years 7, 8, 12.
Staff facilities are of the highest standard and a Learning Support Centre provides for flexible and differentiated curriculum access.
With the advantage of modern specialist facilities and excellent technology networks, girls are provided with a well rounded education to prepare them for the future.
St Mary’s Chapel: Students are welcome to use the Chapel as a place of reflection. Mass is often celebrated by one of the partner parish pastors.
Sophia: The Sophia Building accommodates the College Library and general Senior Learning Areas.
The Father Ron Harden Library is named in honour of the late Parish Priest of St Michael’s Parish, Hurstville, a great supporter and patron of St Mary’s Star of the Sea, and more recently of Bethany College.
MacKillop Building (Ground Floor): This is one of the original buildings on the Hurstville site. The ground floor contains:
- Dedicated Learning Support Centre where students can ask for assistance and access resources.
- Vocational Learning Centre which has a Business Services Office Administration simulated classroom and the Careers Room where information is readily accessible to students.
Yallunga: The College centre for Performing Arts. Students have access to:
- Multi media facilities
- Data projectors and screens
- Lecture theatre with seating for 130
- Dedicated Dance and Drama rooms
- Stages and performance space
Penola: Housing the College Program for Years 7 and 8. Each level has been fitted with several Interactive Whiteboards, wet areas, large group areas for viewing and a flexible walls for working in larger or smaller groups. The Penola Building has direct access to the College Library.
Within the College Marian Building students are provided with facilities in Technological and Applied Studies and Music. These include:
- Dance and Drama spaces and Music Macintosh laboratory
- Seminar Rooms for individual and small group learning
- Commercial kitchen for use of senior students in for Hospitality and Food Technology
- Domestic kitchen for use of students in Year 7 – 10.
- Two Music teaching rooms
- Four Music tutorial rooms for individual lessons
- Three Textile and Design rooms
- Three Design and Technology workshops
- Digital Media workshop